Surgical strikes killed top militant commanders: J-K police
Jammu: Claiming that ten top commanders
of various militant outfits have been killed among 17 ultras
since the beginning of this year, Jammu and Kashmir police
today said it has achieved major successes due to "surgical
strikes" in south of Pir Panjal in the state.
"As a winter strategy, we launched surgical operations
in Jammu region. We had dividends soon. We have killed 10 top
commanders among 17 militants till now," Inspector General of
Police (IGP), Jammu Zone, Ashok Kumar Gupta told reporters
Under the surgical strike strategy, police used two
types of planning -- "Track and target" and "scout, seek and
kill" in neutrilising the top leadership of HuJI, JeM, LeT and
Hizb-ul-Mujahideen (HM) outfits in Doda, Kishtwar, Poonch,
Reasi and Rajouri districts of the region.
While four such top commanders were killed in
Kishtwar, three in Doda district, one each in Reasi, Rajouri and
Two top commanders of Hibul Mujahideen surrendered
before DGP Kuldeep Khoda in Doda, Kumar said.
Under the strategy, large number of Special Operation
Groups (SOGs) generated critical real time informations and
conducted meticulous operations in most difficult high
altitude areas, he said.
"Instead of big SOG teams of 20 to 30 members, we
formed small teams of 5 to 6 men," he said adding this has
given us better results.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter