Suspected Hizbul militant Liyaqat Shah remanded to 5-day NIA custody
New Delhi: Suspected Hizbul militant Liyaqat Shah was on Friday remanded to five days in NIA custody by a court here in connection with a case registered against him by the Delhi Police for allegedly conspiring to carry out terror attacks in the national capital.
During an in-chamber hearing, Shah was produced before District Judge I S Mehta and the court allowed NIA`s plea and remanded him to its custody till May 1, court sources said.
The National Investigation Agency (NIA) had yesterday moved the court seeking five-day custody of Shah saying that they need to take him to Sunauli border, one of India-Nepal crossing points near Gorakhpur, from where he was allegedly arrested by the special cell of Delhi Police on March 20, sources said.
During the hearing, Tihar Jail authorities submitted Shah`s medical report before the court saying that he is undergoing treatment in the jail and his vital parameters are normal.
Shah had alleged that he had been beaten up and tortured by the officials of special cell of Delhi Police during his custody following his arrest.
Earlier, the special NIA court had sent Shah to judicial custody after a magisterial court here had refused to hear the case on the ground that his case has been transferred to NIA.
The Delhi Police had arrested 45-year-old Shah on March 20, alleging that he was planning to carry out terror attacks in the national capital.
The Home Ministry had on March 28 issued a notification
facilitating NIA to take over the case related to Shah after his arrest had generated conflicting versions from Delhi and Jammu and Kashmir police.
On April 2, NIA was allowed by the court to interrogate Shah in Tihar Jail till April 30.
While Delhi Police claimed that with Shah`s arrest they had foiled a `fidayeen` (suicide) attack in the national capital ahead of Holi, its J-K counterpart insisted he was one of those who had exfiltrated in 1990s and returned to India to surrender under the state`s rehabilitation policy.
The police had earlier said Shah, a resident of Jammu and Kashmir, was apprehended from Indo-Nepal border area near Gorakhpur in Uttar Pradesh and had told his interrogators that he is a trained militant of banned terror group Hizbul Mujahideen and was settled in Muzaffarabad in Pakistan Occupied Kashmir (PoK).
Police had said in January 2013, Shah and his associate Manzoor, a resident of J&K, were directed by top ranks of Hizbul to carry out terror attacks in Delhi.
It had said that based on inputs given by Shah, a huge consignment of arms, hand grenades and explosive material were recovered from a guest house in Jama Masjid area here. It had said that his associates, including Manzoor, are absconding.
Delhi Police said a case was registered under sections 120 B(criminal conspiracy), 121 (waging war against government of India), 121A (conspiracy to commit offences against the State) and 123 (concealing with intent to facilitate design to wage war) of IPC against them.
According to Delhi Police, Shah had planned attacks to avenge the hanging of Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru.
J-K Police, however, had supported the claims of Shah`s family that he was a former militant who had surrendered before SSB on the Nepal border and was in a group returning from PoK under the rehabilitation policy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'