Suspected militant injures policeman in knife attack in J&K
Srinagar: A policeman was critically injured today after a suspected militant attacked him with a knife at Pampore in Pulwama district of Jammu and Kashmir, police said.
The attacker also tried to snatch the cop`s weapon after injuring him in the neck. He was overpowered and taken into custody, they said.
The injured policeman is undergoing treatment at Soura Medical Institute here and his condition is stated to be "critical".
A police party was on duty in Pampore town, 16 kms from here, on Srinagar-Jammu national highway when the suspected militant attacked one of them and tried to kill him by slitting open his throat.
The assailant also tried to snatch his service rifle, but was overpowered by other policemen and was taken into custody.
They said the attacker was taken for questioning and his identity was not known yet.
The incident, first of its kind in the valley, sparked panic in the area. The region has been cordoned off and further details are awaited, police said.
- Cyber-bullying increases aggression in teenagers: Study
- AMAZING! What happened when some Indians were asked to tear up Tricolour for Rs 1000 - WATCH
- Shivil Kaushik: Six interesting facts you need to know about Gujarat Lions' left-arm mystery spinner
- Iran's new parliament has more women than clerics
- RBI chief blames ‘overall economic downturn’ for bad loan issue as PAC asks to explain ‘real causes’