Suspected militant injures policeman in knife attack in J&K
Srinagar: A policeman was critically injured today after a suspected militant attacked him with a knife at Pampore in Pulwama district of Jammu and Kashmir, police said.
The attacker also tried to snatch the cop`s weapon after injuring him in the neck. He was overpowered and taken into custody, they said.
The injured policeman is undergoing treatment at Soura Medical Institute here and his condition is stated to be "critical".
A police party was on duty in Pampore town, 16 kms from here, on Srinagar-Jammu national highway when the suspected militant attacked one of them and tried to kill him by slitting open his throat.
The assailant also tried to snatch his service rifle, but was overpowered by other policemen and was taken into custody.
They said the attacker was taken for questioning and his identity was not known yet.
The incident, first of its kind in the valley, sparked panic in the area. The region has been cordoned off and further details are awaited, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- Roy Hodgson quits as England boss after Iceland humiliation
- When brave CRPF men put themselves between terrorists' bullets and colleagues in Pampore attack
- Egypt deports popular Lebanese political talk show host
- EgyptAir black box flight recorder has been repaired: Commission
- Osborne rules himself out of race to succeed PM Cameron: Report