Suspected militant injures policeman in knife attack in J&K
Srinagar: A policeman was critically injured today after a suspected militant attacked him with a knife at Pampore in Pulwama district of Jammu and Kashmir, police said.
The attacker also tried to snatch the cop`s weapon after injuring him in the neck. He was overpowered and taken into custody, they said.
The injured policeman is undergoing treatment at Soura Medical Institute here and his condition is stated to be "critical".
A police party was on duty in Pampore town, 16 kms from here, on Srinagar-Jammu national highway when the suspected militant attacked one of them and tried to kill him by slitting open his throat.
The assailant also tried to snatch his service rifle, but was overpowered by other policemen and was taken into custody.
They said the attacker was taken for questioning and his identity was not known yet.
The incident, first of its kind in the valley, sparked panic in the area. The region has been cordoned off and further details are awaited, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Sunil Grover responds to Kapil Sharma’s ‘sorry’ tweet, says ‘don’t act like a God’
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what