Suspected militant injures policeman in knife attack in J&K
Srinagar: A policeman was critically injured today after a suspected militant attacked him with a knife at Pampore in Pulwama district of Jammu and Kashmir, police said.
The attacker also tried to snatch the cop`s weapon after injuring him in the neck. He was overpowered and taken into custody, they said.
The injured policeman is undergoing treatment at Soura Medical Institute here and his condition is stated to be "critical".
A police party was on duty in Pampore town, 16 kms from here, on Srinagar-Jammu national highway when the suspected militant attacked one of them and tried to kill him by slitting open his throat.
The assailant also tried to snatch his service rifle, but was overpowered by other policemen and was taken into custody.
They said the attacker was taken for questioning and his identity was not known yet.
The incident, first of its kind in the valley, sparked panic in the area. The region has been cordoned off and further details are awaited, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- 14-year-old pregnant rape survivor allowed abortion by Supreme Court
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez