Suspected militants fire at Army team in Baramulla
Srinagar: Security forces on Saturday recovered an AK-47 assault rifle and ammunition after suspected militants opened fire on a Road Opening Party (ROP) in Baramulla district of north Kashmir, a defence spokesman said.
Some unidentified gunmen fired at the ROP of the Army near New Colony locality of Palhalan in Pattan, 27 kms from here, on Srinagar-Baramulla road around 8:30 AM, the spokesman said.
He said the troops did not fire back to avoid collateral damage as the incident took place in a residential area.
However, the troops cordoned off the area and carried out a search operation, the spokesman said, adding reinforcement was also rushed to the site to beef up the strength.
During the search, security forces personnel recovered one AK-47 rifle, one magazine and nine rounds of ammunition hidden under a pile of woods, the spokesman said.
He said no injury has been reported to any one and the search operations to trace the militants were on till last reports came in.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group launches 'Asha 2022' affordable housing scheme
- Soldier buried under avalanche found alive at Siachen glacier
- PM Modi praises Ekal Vidyalaya Foundation, deems mission successful
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- Panel discussion on detention of goat for grazing in bureaucrat's garden
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- See pic: Call for further study after discovery of baboon-like creature on Mars!
- Say goodbye to your acidity woes with these ten simple tips!
- India prays for Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa; PM, Army Chief visit hospital