Suspected militants kill another sarpanch in J&K
Srinagar: A village sarpanch was gunned down by unidentified militants in Jammu and Kashmir`s Baramulla district late Sunday evening.
According to reports, suspected militants fired upon Javed Ahmed Wani, affiliated to ruling National Conference in Baramulla district, inside his house in Kreeri area.
Javed Ahmed Wani was shot at and critically injured at around 7:40 PM, officials said.
Although, Wani was rushed to a hospital in Srinagar, he succumbed to his injuries.
However, no militant outfit has claimed responsibility for the killing.
This is the fifth instance in the last six months in which a sarpanch has been killed in the state. While three sarpanches were killed in September last year, another was shot dead in January.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre