Talk to separatists without precondition: Tarigami to Centre
Srinagar: Senior CPI(M) leader M Y Tarigami today suggested the NDA government at the Centre to consider dialogue with separatists in Jammu and Kashmir without laying down any precondition.
"My suggestion is to hold talks without any precondition. When the dialogue is held with an opponent or with those who do not agree with you, you have to make them agree but if you make the talks conditional, they will not get the desired results," he said.
Tarigami, who is also Convenor of `Awami Mutahida Mahaz` (Peoples United Front), was speaking to reporters on the sidelines of a convention organised by AMM, an amalgam of various mainstream political parties including state unit of CPI(M), to devise the strategy for the Assembly elections scheduled later this year.
He said BJP`s agenda is not hidden from anyone and he was "not much hopeful" of the outcome of its efforts to have a meaningful dialogue for the resolution of Kashmir issue.
"(Former Prime Minister) A B Vajpayee talked about the dialogue under the ambit of humanity and now they (BJP) talk about (having) dialogue within the Constitution. They have to decide whether they want the dialogue within humanity or the Constitution," he said.
Appealing to political parties, including separatists, to join hands for the betterment of the people, Tarigami said, "We have to identify some areas of agreement and move forward in unison for the good of the people."
On the strategy of the AMM for the upcoming elections in the state, he said, "We are meeting next week to decide the candidates. Let the elections take place and the results come out, then we will decide about alliance with any party," he said.
Commenting on reports of Centre asking Congress-appointed Governors to submit their resignations, Tarigami said there was a need to redefine their role in the country.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?