Teenage girl brutalised, thrown into gutter for opposing rape
Jammu: A 17-year-old girl was brutally assaulted for resisting an alleged rape attempt by two men, who crushed her under their motorcycle and dumped her in a drain assuming her to be dead in R S Pura sector of Jammu district.
The minor was on her way to a nearby school on April 19 in Arnia village of Jammu when she was intercepted by a local youth, Nitin, who asked her to sit on his motorcycle, police said.
According to the complaint, the girl refused to accompany Nitin following which he called one of his friends and forcibly took her to a nearby isolated place and allegedly tried to rape her.
When the girl resisted their overtures she was brutally beaten by the two youths, who also tried to kill her by running over their motorcycle on her, according to the complaint filed by the girl`s father, a labourer.
Thinking that she was dead they threw her in nullah (drain), the complaint said.
The girl was noticed by a passerby who informed the police. She is being treated in Government Medical College Jammu, police said.
The main accused Nitin was arrested yesterday, police said, adding that hunt to nab the other accused was on.
Interestingly, the police had earlier registered a case of accident in this regard.
"Initially a case of accident was registered in this regard on the basis of the girl`s initial statement. We have arrested the boy who has been named in the case and we are on the job to get all the facts about the incident," Rajeshwar Singh, Superintendent Police, told PTI.
The father of the 17-year-old girl said that a few days earlier the boy had misbehaved with his daughter and she had retaliated.
"Few days before the incident he had misbehaved with my daughter and she had retaliated," he said.
Meanwhile, local BJP workers today protested outside the Medical College Jammu.
They were demanding immediate action in the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Mathura violence: Judicial probe into Jawahar Bagh incident begins
- IIFA 2016: Dramatic entry! When Shahid Kapoor, Farhan Akhtar hit the green carpet on Spanish donkeys - Pic inside
- Seven killed as car rams into minibus in Kenya's Kwale
- Hope law will be passed for construction of Ram temple by PM Narendra Modi-led government: VHP leader Pravin Togadia
- Rock stars and celebrities react with dismay to Brexit