Teenager killed during police-demonstrators clash in J&K
Srinagar: A teenager was today killed
during a clash between stone-pelting demonstrators and
security personnel, following which a flash strike hit the old
parts of the city.
The victim, identified as Tufail Ahmad Mattoo, died
after receiving head injuries in Ghani stadium area near
Rajouri Kadal, official sources said.
Locals, however, alleged that security personnel hit
the victim on the head by rifle butts, which resulted in his
death on the spot.
The incident led to further stone-pelting.
Police claimed Tufail died after receiving head
injuries after tripping on a stone while security forces were
chasing the stone pelters.
The body of the deceased has been taken for postmortem
to ascertain the exact cause of the death, a police spokesman
He denied that the youth was killed in firing or hit
by security forces.
Groups of youth resorted to stone pelting in Gani
stadium area of Rajouri Kadal late this afternoon "without any
reason", the spokesman said.
Police first used cane charge and then lobbed tear gas
shells as demonstrators hurl stones on police and vehicles, he
He said the stone pelters were being chased when the
Shopkeepers pulled down their shutters in Rajouri
Kadal, Kawdara, Rainawari and Nowhatta and traffic went off
the roads as the news of the teenager`s death spread, they
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader