Temperature in Kashmir dips below freezing point
Srinagar: The night temperature across Kashmir fell below freezing point with Leh in Ladakh remaining the coldest place in the region.
According to the meteorological department the minimum temperature recorded at Leh, 434 kms from here, was minus 11.0 degrees Celsius.
The night temperature in other parts of the valley including the summer capital Srinagar also fell by a few notches and settled below freezing point.
The famous ski resort of Gulmarg in north Kashmir was the coldest place in the valley with a low of minus 5.0 degrees Celsius, the spokesperson added.
He said Srinagar recorded a low of minus 0.3 degrees Celsius compared to 1.6 degrees Celsius on Saturday.
Pahalgam hill resort in south Kashmir, which serves as a base camp during the annual Amarnath yatra, recorded a minimum of minus 3.8 degrees Celsius, the spokesman said.
He said the mercury is expected to fall further as there is a possibility of fresh snowfall in the high reaches between December 12 and 16.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145