Temperature in Kashmir dips below freezing point
Srinagar: The night temperature across Kashmir fell below freezing point with Leh in Ladakh remaining the coldest place in the region.
According to the meteorological department the minimum temperature recorded at Leh, 434 kms from here, was minus 11.0 degrees Celsius.
The night temperature in other parts of the valley including the summer capital Srinagar also fell by a few notches and settled below freezing point.
The famous ski resort of Gulmarg in north Kashmir was the coldest place in the valley with a low of minus 5.0 degrees Celsius, the spokesperson added.
He said Srinagar recorded a low of minus 0.3 degrees Celsius compared to 1.6 degrees Celsius on Saturday.
Pahalgam hill resort in south Kashmir, which serves as a base camp during the annual Amarnath yatra, recorded a minimum of minus 3.8 degrees Celsius, the spokesman said.
He said the mercury is expected to fall further as there is a possibility of fresh snowfall in the high reaches between December 12 and 16.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Two ISIS operatives, planning to target religious places, arrested by Gujarat ATS