Temperatures show an upward trend in J-K
Srinagar: Night temperature across Jammu and Kashmir recorded an upward trend except in Kargil which at minus 5.4 degrees Celsius was the coldest place in the state.
The minimum temperature recorded in Kargil town was minus 5.4 degrees Celsius compared to minus 6.0 degrees celsius the previous night, a spokesman of the MET office said.
He said the Leh town, which recorded a night temperature of minus 9.6 degrees Celsius yesterday, witnessed an increase of over five notches due to overcast skies. The minimum temperature recorded in the town was minus 4.0 degrees celsius, making it the second coldest place in the state.
The summer capital Srinagar, which registered the coldest night of the season at minus 0.2 degrees Celsius yesterday, recorded slight improvement with the mercury settling at 2.8 degrees celsius.
Kupwara district town of north Kashmir was much better placed with a low of 3.8 degrees celsius as against 0.9 degrees celsius yesterday followed by Qazigund town in south Kashmir (3.0 degrees celsius), the spokesman said.
He said the famous ski resort of Gulmarg in north Kashmir was the only place in the Valley where the night temperature remained below freezing point.
The minimum temperature recorded at the hill resort, which witnessed several inches of snowfall on Saturday and Sunday, was minus 2.9 degrees celsius, while the southern hill resort of Pahalgam recorded a low of 1.4 degrees celsius, the spokesman said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Maharajganj
- Are educational institutions becoming a tool to showcase anti-national agendas?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- DNA: Post demonetisation, India records 7% GDP growth rate in Q3
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- No AC, mattress for Sasikala in prison, confirms DIG; may not be shifted to Chennai jail
- Gurmehar-ABVP ruckus: Virender Sehwag represents BCCI not India, says Umar Khalid