Terror attack: Omar pulls up security set up for `lapses`
Jammu: Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Friday pulled up the security establishment for "lapses" and "non-adherence" of Standard Operating Procedures (SoPs) in containing the terror attack yesterday in which 10 people lost their lives.
Chairing a high-level meeting here in the aftermath of terror strikes in Kathua and Samba, Omar asked the police as to why no action was taken for nearly 40 minutes - the time gap between the attack on police station in Hiranagar and Army camp located at Samba.
The Chief Minister pulled up the local police for failing to act and prevent loss whereas the Army claimed that they ensured that the terrorists were not allowed to move out of the camp, official sources said.
According to the sources, Inspector General of Police (Jammu) Rajesh Kumar was informed about the attack briefly at 0705 hours who in turn immediately informed Himachal Pradesh`s Yol-based General-officer-Command.
However, there was virtually no attempt made to stop the marching terrorists -- which angered the Chief Minister who asked police as well as the Army to respond quickly in such situations.
Kathua and Samba areas fall under the domain of IX Corps based in Himachal Pradesh.
Omar, while expressing deep sorrow over the loss of civil and police and army personnel in the twin terrorist attacks, stressed the need for further strengthening the surveillance and security measures to avoid such acts in future.
Omar, who flew in here immediately after being informed about the terror strikes, was briefed on the operations to combat the terror attacks in which four policemen and four army personnel including Lt. Colonel Bikramjit Singh were killed.
Top brass of Army, Security Forces, J&K Police and Civil Administration were present in the meeting.
Earlier, the Chief Minister was present at the Jammu Airport at the time of sending off the dead body of soldier Inder Singh to his native place. He paid rich tributes to the martyrs for their sacrifices for safeguarding the state and the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees