Terror attack: Omar pulls up security set up for `lapses`
Jammu: Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Friday pulled up the security establishment for "lapses" and "non-adherence" of Standard Operating Procedures (SoPs) in containing the terror attack yesterday in which 10 people lost their lives.
Chairing a high-level meeting here in the aftermath of terror strikes in Kathua and Samba, Omar asked the police as to why no action was taken for nearly 40 minutes - the time gap between the attack on police station in Hiranagar and Army camp located at Samba.
The Chief Minister pulled up the local police for failing to act and prevent loss whereas the Army claimed that they ensured that the terrorists were not allowed to move out of the camp, official sources said.
According to the sources, Inspector General of Police (Jammu) Rajesh Kumar was informed about the attack briefly at 0705 hours who in turn immediately informed Himachal Pradesh`s Yol-based General-officer-Command.
However, there was virtually no attempt made to stop the marching terrorists -- which angered the Chief Minister who asked police as well as the Army to respond quickly in such situations.
Kathua and Samba areas fall under the domain of IX Corps based in Himachal Pradesh.
Omar, while expressing deep sorrow over the loss of civil and police and army personnel in the twin terrorist attacks, stressed the need for further strengthening the surveillance and security measures to avoid such acts in future.
Omar, who flew in here immediately after being informed about the terror strikes, was briefed on the operations to combat the terror attacks in which four policemen and four army personnel including Lt. Colonel Bikramjit Singh were killed.
Top brass of Army, Security Forces, J&K Police and Civil Administration were present in the meeting.
Earlier, the Chief Minister was present at the Jammu Airport at the time of sending off the dead body of soldier Inder Singh to his native place. He paid rich tributes to the martyrs for their sacrifices for safeguarding the state and the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' 8th edition: As it happened
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj