Terrorists blow up Kashmir’s first rail line
Srinagar: The rail network in Kashmir came under militant attack for the first time when nearly two feet of the track was blown up in Pulwama district, disrupting train services between south and north Kashmir.
The ultras detonated an Improvised Explosive Device (IED) near Galbug, 43.6 km from here, around 10 PM last night, damaging two feet of rail track on the Qazigund-Baramulla section, started in the Valley two years ago, police said today.
However, there was no report of any casualty.
The attack came ahead of a scheduled inspection by senior officers of some ongoing work in the railways in Kashmir.
Train services resumed this morning after the track was repaired, Deputy Inspector General of Police, south Kashmir, Kamal Saine told reporters.
He said since the damage to the track was not severe, it did not take a long time to repair it.
Investigations into the incident have begun, Senior Superintendent of Police, Pulwama, Kifayat Hyder said.
"It was probably an IED blast because there was not much damage. We have recovered some wires from the spot," he said.
CRPF IG, M C Asthana, however, said the blast could have been triggered by a "regular, high-power explosive."
"But without forensic analysis, no one can be clear about the nature of the explosive," he said.
Chief Area Manager Northern Railways Opinder Singh said rail services resumed around 10.05 AM.
He said two trains from Srinagar to Qazigund were cancelled due to the incident.
The railway service was started in the Valley on October 11, 2008, from Anantnag to Budgam. It was extended from Budgam to Baramulla on February 14, 2009, and later from Anantnag to Qazigund on October 28 last year.
Five trains run twice a day from Qazigund to Baramulla, Qazigund to Budgam, Srinagar to Baramulla, Baramulla to Budgam and Srinagar to Qazigund.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview