Thick snow cover posing new risk to Amarnath pilgrims
Thick snow cover at Kashmir`s Amarnath cave shrine and on the route leading to it is posing multiple risks to pilgrims and has increased challenges before the organisers of the annual pilgrimage, due to start on June 25.
Combined with unpredictable weather and lack of oxygen at that altitude, the snow could multiply the dangers for pilgrims proceeding on a steep and slippery track, he said.
Governor NN Vohra, chairman of the shrine board, said: "Our prime concern is that the pilgrims should travel comfortably and that there should be not a single loss of life."
Last year, 117 people died during the pilgrimage, particularly from cardiac-related ailments. This year, the SASB has set up control rooms and made it mandatory for the pilgrims to submit physical fitness certificates before proceeding to the shrine.
Pilgrims, however, said they were ready to take the risk. "We will proceed to the shrine come what may," said Sunil Jandiyal, a devotee.
"We have seen worst situations in the past," said Vijay Kumar from Punjab, who is leading a convoy of trucks to set up a `langar` or free kitchen at Baltal, a base camp en route to the cave shrine.
The pilgrimage will conclude on Aug 2.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!