Three Army jawans killed in Kupwara encounter
Srinagar: Three Army jawans were killed and two others injured in a fierce gunbattle with infiltrating militants near the Line of Control in Kupwara district Saturday night, official sources said here.
Troops of 19 Rajput Rifles of the Army noticed movement of heavily-armed militants near Temple Post at Furkian Gali near LoC late last evening, the sources said.
They said the militants were challenged by the troops but the ultras opened firing, leading to heavy exchange of firing between the two sides.
Two Army jawans died on the spot while three others were injured, the sources said, adding one of the injured jawans succumbed to injuries at 92 Base Hospital at Badamibagh cantonment here.
The sources said the militants have managed to break free from the Army cordon and might have slipped back across the LoC to Pakistan-occupied Kashmir.
However, the Army said the operation was still in progress.
This is the second infiltration bid from across the LoC in the last three days.
An infiltration bid was foiled on July 27 when foreign ministers of India and Pakistan were holding talks in New Delhi. A JCO was killed and two jawans injured in that
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- DNA: Growing Russia-China ties a concern for India
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Woman set ablaze in UP, Akhilesh orders magisterial probe
- Waterlogging, traffic jams in Delhi after rains
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation
- No bomb found on Turkish Airlines flight which made emergency landing in Delhi