Three Army personnel killed in landslide
Srinagar: Three Army personnel, including a captain, who had laid an ambush near the LoC to check infiltration were killed in a landslide triggered by heavy rains in Uri sector of Baramulla district, official sources said on Friday.
The troops of Sikh Light Infantry had laid an ambush at Tikri village near the LoC following information that a group of militants might try to sneak into the Valley last night, the sources said.
As the troops lay in wait for the ultras, a landslide struck the area. A captain and two jawans were buried under the landslide while about 20 other personnel escaped unhurt, the sources said.
The bodies of the deceased personnel have been recovered and have been identified as Captain Gaurav, Lance Naik Karnail Singh and Sepoy Karan Singh.
The landslide was caused by heavy rains and snowfall in the mountainous reaches of Uri sector since last night.
More than 20 inches of snow has accumulated at Rai post in
Infiltration along the LoC in north Kashmir has been on the rise in recent months as militants make desperate bids to sneak in before the onset of the winter which will close the natural passes.
More than 55 militants have been killed in counter-insurgency operations, including foiled infiltration bids, since September 1 this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre