Three arrested for snatching rifle from CRPF jawan in J&K
Srinagar: Three persons, part of a six-member module allegedly involved in a weapon snatching incident, were arrested in Pulwama district of Jammu and Kashmir, police said today.
The module was busted following investigation into the snatching of service rifle of a CRPF jawan at Tral Bus stand, 35 kms from here, on Wednesday, a police spokesman said.
On October 9, some unidentified persons attacked a CRPF constable in Tral and decamped with his service rifle after injuring him seriously.
"On this Police Station Tral registered a case and manhunt was launched to nab the culprits," the spokesman said, adding "after receiving specific information, police detained Nazir Ahmad Rather alias Afridi of Dadsara village of Tral in connection with this incident.
"During the questioning, he revealed that he alongwith five others had planned and executed the weapon snatching at Tral Town," the spokesman said.
He said Rather also revealed that the same group was behind the attack on police guard at Qoial village of Pulwama yesterday.
Suspected militants tried to snatch weapons of the police guards manning a picket set up for protection of a minority community in the village but the alert cops opened fire to foil the militants attempt.
An INSAS rifle, snatched from the CRPF jawan at Tral, was left behind by the fleeing attackers which was seized by police during the incident.
The spokesman said other associates of Rather who are involved in these incidents are Rafiq Ahmad Bhat alias "Dada" of Astan-Mohallah Tral, Shakoor Ahmad Bhat of Quoil, Aqib Daboo of Wav Masjid, Tral, Ubaid alias "Molvi" of Tral Payeen and Irshad Ahmad Khan alias "Arkhan" of Lajoora, Pulwama.
While Dada and Shakoor were arrested, efforts are on to nab the other three who incidentally have "nothing against them with regard to militancy related violence", the spokesman added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India