Three dead, dozens feared missing in Kashmir cloudburst
Jammu: At least three people were killed and dozens feared missing after a cloudburst swept away a large portion of a highway in Jammu and Kashmir, police said on Thursday.
According to police, the incident took place late Wednesday at Batote-Kishtwar Highway in Baggar area, about 140 km northeast of Jammu.
The a large portion of the highway, several roadside shops and vehicles were swept away due to the cloudburst. The vehicles and the portions of the road slided into a lake, making it difficult for the officials to ascertain the loss of life and property.
"The area has become inaccessible and it is very difficult to give an assessment of the loss at this time," Deputy Commissioner of Police (Doda) Farooq Khan told a news agency over phone.
Army`s help has been sought to undertake the rescue operations, Khan added.
While three people are missing according to police, locals said there was no trace of dozens of them.
With a large stretch of the road having been washed away, there is no other road connectivity available. Hence, two mountainous districts of Doda and Kishtwar and nearly half a million people are cut off from the rest of the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you