Three dead, dozens feared missing in Kashmir cloudburst
Jammu: At least three people were killed and dozens feared missing after a cloudburst swept away a large portion of a highway in Jammu and Kashmir, police said on Thursday.
According to police, the incident took place late Wednesday at Batote-Kishtwar Highway in Baggar area, about 140 km northeast of Jammu.
The a large portion of the highway, several roadside shops and vehicles were swept away due to the cloudburst. The vehicles and the portions of the road slided into a lake, making it difficult for the officials to ascertain the loss of life and property.
"The area has become inaccessible and it is very difficult to give an assessment of the loss at this time," Deputy Commissioner of Police (Doda) Farooq Khan told a news agency over phone.
Army`s help has been sought to undertake the rescue operations, Khan added.
While three people are missing according to police, locals said there was no trace of dozens of them.
With a large stretch of the road having been washed away, there is no other road connectivity available. Hence, two mountainous districts of Doda and Kishtwar and nearly half a million people are cut off from the rest of the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'