Three militants killed in Kashmir firing
Srinagar: Three militants were killed in a night-long exchange of gunfire with the security forces in north Kashmir`s Kupwara district, an officer said on Tuesday.
Inspector General of Police Abdul Ghani Mir told a news agency that security forces had killed three guerrillas in Shetpora (Rajwar) village in Kupwara district, 135 km from here, where the gunfight started on Monday evening.
The bodies of the slain militants were recovered from the debris of the house which was destroyed in the heavy exchange of gunfire.
Troops of the counter-insurgency Rashtriya Rifles and the Special Operations Group of the state police had surrounded a house in Shetpora village following information about the presence of three guerrillas inside.
"When the security forces challenged the hiding militants, they started indiscriminate firing, triggering an encounter which ended this (Tuesday) morning."
"Firing exchanges stopped this (Tuesday) morning after which the bodies of the slain militants were recovered," a senior Army officer said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?