Three militants killed in Kashmir firing
Srinagar: Three militants were killed in a night-long exchange of gunfire with the security forces in north Kashmir`s Kupwara district, an officer said on Tuesday.
Inspector General of Police Abdul Ghani Mir told a news agency that security forces had killed three guerrillas in Shetpora (Rajwar) village in Kupwara district, 135 km from here, where the gunfight started on Monday evening.
The bodies of the slain militants were recovered from the debris of the house which was destroyed in the heavy exchange of gunfire.
Troops of the counter-insurgency Rashtriya Rifles and the Special Operations Group of the state police had surrounded a house in Shetpora village following information about the presence of three guerrillas inside.
"When the security forces challenged the hiding militants, they started indiscriminate firing, triggering an encounter which ended this (Tuesday) morning."
"Firing exchanges stopped this (Tuesday) morning after which the bodies of the slain militants were recovered," a senior Army officer said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Turkey continues crackdown, shuts dozens of media outlets
- Apple to rely on apps and services after disappointing sales
- Never revealed the name of Burari rape victim: DCW chief
- Why Dalits from Tamil Nadu's Karur are threatening to convert to Islam
- 'Dragon' is coming soon! Alia Bhatt-Ranbir Kapoor ready to roll