Three militants killed in Kashmir firing
Srinagar: Three militants were killed in a night-long exchange of gunfire with the security forces in north Kashmir`s Kupwara district, an officer said on Tuesday.
Inspector General of Police Abdul Ghani Mir told a news agency that security forces had killed three guerrillas in Shetpora (Rajwar) village in Kupwara district, 135 km from here, where the gunfight started on Monday evening.
The bodies of the slain militants were recovered from the debris of the house which was destroyed in the heavy exchange of gunfire.
Troops of the counter-insurgency Rashtriya Rifles and the Special Operations Group of the state police had surrounded a house in Shetpora village following information about the presence of three guerrillas inside.
"When the security forces challenged the hiding militants, they started indiscriminate firing, triggering an encounter which ended this (Tuesday) morning."
"Firing exchanges stopped this (Tuesday) morning after which the bodies of the slain militants were recovered," a senior Army officer said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list