Three security personnel, 2 ultras killed in encounter
Srinagar: Three security personnel, including an army officer, and two suspected foreign militants were killed, while four cops were injured in an overnight gunbattle in Kupwara district of north Kashmir.
The encounter broke out at village Zunrishi in Kralpora area, 120 kms from here, last evening when a joint party of police and Army launched a search operation to flush out hiding militants, a senior police officer told.
He said the house where the militants had taken shelter was destroyed in the overnight gunbattle that ended this afternoon.
Bodies of both the militants and two policemen, who were part of the search party which stormed the house to neutralise the militants, were recovered from the debris of the building this afternoon, the officer said.
He said a Junior Commissioned Officer of the Army was also killed and four policemen injured in the encounter.
The injured policemen were shifted to hospital where condition of two of them including an Assistant sub-inspector was stated to be "serious", the officer said.
The officer said the identity and group affiliation of the slain militants could not be ascertained immediately but they are believed to be foreigners.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I know why Indrani Mukherjea murdered my sister Sheena: Mikhail Bora
- OROP issue: With no breakthrough in sight, Army veterans may meet PM Narendra Modi today
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police