Three security personnel, 2 ultras killed in encounter
Srinagar: Three security personnel, including an army officer, and two suspected foreign militants were killed, while four cops were injured in an overnight gunbattle in Kupwara district of north Kashmir.
The encounter broke out at village Zunrishi in Kralpora area, 120 kms from here, last evening when a joint party of police and Army launched a search operation to flush out hiding militants, a senior police officer told.
He said the house where the militants had taken shelter was destroyed in the overnight gunbattle that ended this afternoon.
Bodies of both the militants and two policemen, who were part of the search party which stormed the house to neutralise the militants, were recovered from the debris of the building this afternoon, the officer said.
He said a Junior Commissioned Officer of the Army was also killed and four policemen injured in the encounter.
The injured policemen were shifted to hospital where condition of two of them including an Assistant sub-inspector was stated to be "serious", the officer said.
The officer said the identity and group affiliation of the slain militants could not be ascertained immediately but they are believed to be foreigners.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre