Three students killed in mishap in J&K
Srinagar: Three students, including two girls were killed and six other persons injured when the vehicle they were travelling in fell into a deep gorge in Jammu and Kashmir`s Ladakh region, police said on Wednesday.
The mishap took place at Wanlado near Lamayuru in Leh, 434 kms from here, last evening when the driver lost control over the cab, which skidded off the road and fell into a deep gorge, they said.
The students, who were studying in Jammu, were returning home.
Rescue teams immediately swung into action and recovered the bodies of three students and evacuated six other injured to a nearby hospital where condition of two of them was stated to be critical, police said
Chief Minister Omar Abdullah condoled the death of the students, describing it most "unfortunate" and "heartbreaking".
He expressed solidarity with the bereaved families, conveyed his sympathy to them and prayed for eternal peace to the departed souls.
In another accident on Srinagr-Leh National highway, police said four persons were injured when a cab collided with a private car near Prang, 35 kms from here.
The injured were hospitalised, police added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Importance of viewers' comments and remarks on reported news
- DNA: Has PM Modi's mention of Balochistan during I-Day speech unsettled China?
- DNA: Why commuting by bus in India is an unpleasant experience
- DNA: Elderly couple forced to live separately after 62 years; images go viral
- DNA: Unhappy with stint in Rio, Kim Jong-un announces penalty for North Korean olympians
- Curfew lifted in Kashmir Valley, Rajnath Singh to head all-party team on Sept 4
- ISS astronaut Jeff Williams shares captivating image of the USA's west coast! - See pic
- Govt panel for chilli-filled grenades, stun lac shells as alternatives to pellet guns
- iPhone 7? Apple Inc sends out invite for September 7 'special event'
- John Kerry's cavalcade got stuck in traffic jam caused by heavy rains in New Delhi