Three surrendered Hizbul militants among 4 held for 2001 killings
Jammu: Four persons, including three surrendered Hijbul-Mujaheedin militants, were on Monday arrested for allegedly gunning down seven persons 12 years ago.
On November 30, 2001, 12 militants disguised in army and police uniforms had shot dead seven youths, including four Village Defence Committee (VDC) members, in Chakka Galiote area of Udhampur district.
"Top commanders of Hijbul Mujahideen operating in Gool areas had hatched conspiracy to execute massacre of VDC members at Chakka Galiote village.
Four persons including three former militants of Hizbul have been arrested," SSP Udhampur, Ashkoor Wani told reporters at Udhampur, 65 kms from here today.
"Farooq Ahmed, Manzoor Ahmed, Abdul Latif and Mohd Din, all residents of Ramban, have been arrested," he said.
Three of them were top ranking commanders of Hizbul Mujahideen, he said.
The SSP said that some other top ranking militants of Gool areas were also involved in the killing and are absconding.
"More arrests may not be ruled out. All the accused have been remanded to police custody for seven days by a court and a probe is on," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video