Tight vigil along Indo-Pak border in J&K: Shinde
New Delhi: Security forces have heightened their vigil to stop infiltration attempts in Jammu and Kashmir from across vulnerable border areas, Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde said on Tuesday.
Border guarding forces like BSF and Army have drawn lessons from the recent incident in Jammu and Kashmir`s Samba sector where a terror attack killed 14 people, he said.
"I had visited this area after the incident and I saw that there are vulnerable areas from where there is a possibility of terrorists sneaking in... There is a riverine area also. We are trying to keep more vigil on that (Indo-Pak) fence. We will certainly see whatever can be done (to keep the border secure against any infiltration attempt)," Shinde told reporters here.
He said "action is being taken" based on the experiences of this incident where 14 people, including a Lieutenant Colonel, died in the two militant attacks on the Hiranagar Police Station and an Army camp in Kathua and Samba districts of Jammu and Kashmir on September 26.
The terrorists had attacked the Army`s Cavalry unit based in the area as they perpetrated terror running amok and spraying bullets.
He, however, refused to elaborate on the manner as to how the attack was launched.
BSF chief Subhash Joshi had been refuting the charge that there was a breach in its defence mechanisms in the Samba sector which led to the terror attack.
Initial reports had suggested BSF security was lax in the area and the Home Ministry had also ordered a probe in this regard then.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam