Tight vigil along Indo-Pak border in J&K: Shinde
New Delhi: Security forces have heightened their vigil to stop infiltration attempts in Jammu and Kashmir from across vulnerable border areas, Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde said on Tuesday.
Border guarding forces like BSF and Army have drawn lessons from the recent incident in Jammu and Kashmir`s Samba sector where a terror attack killed 14 people, he said.
"I had visited this area after the incident and I saw that there are vulnerable areas from where there is a possibility of terrorists sneaking in... There is a riverine area also. We are trying to keep more vigil on that (Indo-Pak) fence. We will certainly see whatever can be done (to keep the border secure against any infiltration attempt)," Shinde told reporters here.
He said "action is being taken" based on the experiences of this incident where 14 people, including a Lieutenant Colonel, died in the two militant attacks on the Hiranagar Police Station and an Army camp in Kathua and Samba districts of Jammu and Kashmir on September 26.
The terrorists had attacked the Army`s Cavalry unit based in the area as they perpetrated terror running amok and spraying bullets.
He, however, refused to elaborate on the manner as to how the attack was launched.
BSF chief Subhash Joshi had been refuting the charge that there was a breach in its defence mechanisms in the Samba sector which led to the terror attack.
Initial reports had suggested BSF security was lax in the area and the Home Ministry had also ordered a probe in this regard then.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015