Togadia packed off from Jammu airport
Jammu: VHP leader Praveen Togadia was on Thursday detained by the police at Jammu airport and sent back by authorities, fearing law and order disturbance.
"I have been detained at the Jammu Airport and not allowed to move out of the complex," the Vishwa Hindu Parishad leader said.
"I was served notice by the Additional Deputy Commissioner Jammu which said that I will not be allowed to enter Jammu as it will create law and order problem," Togadia said.
The VHP leader said, "They did not allow me to exercise my fundamental rights as a citizen of India".
Following the incident, VHP and Bajrang Dal activists protested outside the airport claiming the VHP leader was not even allowed to meet them.
The VHP leader said he told authorities there was not a single example where his visit or speech had triggered any law and order problem across the country or in Jammu and Kashmir.
"I was on two-day visit to Jammu and Kashmir to hear complaints of community about J&K government`s discrimination in jobs, employment, education, trade, security and religious rights during the visit," he said.
Togadia, who arrived in Delhi-Jammu flight `S241 Jet` plane around 11:20 hours, was served notice by the Additional Deputy Commissioner Jammu, Arya Sharma that he will not be allowed to enter by Jammu Police fearing law and order problem, District Development Commissioner Jammu, Sanjeev Verma said.
Verma said Togadia was not allowed to come out of the airport and has been sent back.
The step was taken by the state government in view of last year`s visit of Togadia to Rajouri district, where his provocative speech triggered tension between two communities.
Police had booked Togadia for allegedly hurting the sentiments of a community at a public rally in Rajouri district of Jammu and Kashmir on March 4 last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH