Top JeM militant commander killed in Srinagar
Srinagar: A top Jaish-e-Mohammad militant commander was killed in an encounter with security forces in Sopore in north Kashmir`s Baramullah district in the wee hours Saturday.
Sopore Police and 22 Rashtriya Rifles cordoned Chatlora village, 55 kms from here, at around 1 am after receiving information that a self-styled divisional commander of foreign origin of the outfit was hiding in a village, official sources told a news agency.
At around 4 am, when the security forces were conducting search operations, the militant opened fire and he was killed in the exchange of fire, the sources said.
The militant was operating with the code names Shoaib and Yasir and was active in Sopore area from 2007, they said, adding he had come to Kashmir in 2002.
He was involved in many field killings and attacks on mainstream politicians, the sources said, describing his killing as a "great achievement".
A sub-inspector identified as Dilraj was also injured in the encounter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- 2nd Test, Centurion: South Africa vs New Zealand - Preview
- US Open 2016: Serena Williams shoulders burden of history at Flushing Meadows
- Shahid Kapoor opens up about his Bollywood struggle! - Read more
- WATCH: Mother mercilessly beats her infant son, tries to strangulate him in Bareilly
- Premier League 2016-17: Gameweek 3 - Preview