Top LeT Commander arrested in Kishtwar
Jammu: In a major breakthrough, security
forces on Saturday arrested an oldest surviving area commander of
Pakistan-based Lashker-e-Toiba (LeT) from Jammu and Kashmir`s
Kishtwar district, a police spokesman said here.
Based on confirmed intelligence input regarding the
presence of the militant, the Army and police launched a joint
operation in general area of Patnazi, about 290 kms from here,
in the district early this morning, he said.
During the search operation, they noticed the movement of
an individual under suspicious circumstance, he said, adding
on being challenged the individual tried to escape but was
overpowered and apprehended.
The captured militant, identified as Mohammad Shafi Shah
alias Pathan alias Idrees, was in possession of one AK-56
rifle, three magazines, 90 rounds of ammunition, one radio
set, three SIM cards of Pakistan, three other SIM cards and
one mobile phone.
Originally belonging to Ashmuqam area of Pahalgam in
South kashmir, Shah had been active in militancy since 1990
and was involved in many heinous crimes, the spokesman said.
This was the fourth major success by security forces
against militants in Kishtwar during last few days. They
killed LeT district commander, Mohammad Issaq Bhat alias
Atique in Odrain area of the district on July 14. Yesterday,
security forces apprehended Nazzir Ahmed, a close aide of Bhat
also also recovered arms and essentials from militant hideout
from two different areas of the hilly district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- 'Can you spare USD10 to help elect a billionaire?' - Trump emails
- 'Narasimha Rao's pro Hindu mindset led to Babri mosque demolition'
- Brexit: Germany, France, Italy vow `new impulse` for European Union
- Euro 2016: Holders Spain knocked out by Italy in last 16
- 19 dead in bomb attacks on ex-Qaeda bastion in Yemen