Top LeT militant killed in J&K`s Baramulla
Srinagar: A top Pakistani "commander" of Lashker-e-Toiba militant outfit was killed and two security force personnel were wounded in a fierce gunbattle in north Kashmir`s Baramulla district, an army spokesman said.
The LeT "commander" identified as Mehmood Bhai, a resident of Pakistan, was killed when security forces launched an anti-militancy operation in Tarzoo village in Sopore, some 55 kms from here, the spokesman said.
A militant was also captured during the operation and handed over to police, he said.
The operation was suspended for the night but security forces maintained the cordon to prevent the militants from escaping.
Mehmood Bhai tried to break the cordon at around 0200 hours and was killed in the ensuing gunbattle, the spokesman said.
Two jawans suffered gunshot wounds but their condition was stable, the spokesman said
The killing of the LeT commander comes close on the heels of two successful anti-militancy operations in south Kashmir last week.
Three top Hizbul Mujahideen militants were killed in Tral area in Pulwama district on June 19 while a Pakistani "commander" of LeT was arrested in Kulgam district the following day.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump