Tourists stranded as farmers block J&K NH over water woes
Srinagar: Thousands of passengers, including tourists, are stranded on the Jammu-Srinagar highway as farmers blocked the road at Awantipora demanding proper water supply for irrigation purposes.
"We have been left with no option but to block the highway to wake up the administration to our urgent need for water to irrigate our lands," Javaid Ahmad, a farmer from Barsoo village in Awantipora area of Pulwama district, said.
Only few days were left for sowing paddy but the concerned authorities did not pay any attention to the request of farmers to restore irrigation facilities in the area, Ahmed claimed.
The blocked highway left thousands passengers, including tourists, stranded along the 294-km road.
Policemen have been rushed to the spot to clear the highway off the protestors, a traffic department official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands