Tourists stranded as farmers block J&K NH over water woes
Srinagar: Thousands of passengers, including tourists, are stranded on the Jammu-Srinagar highway as farmers blocked the road at Awantipora demanding proper water supply for irrigation purposes.
"We have been left with no option but to block the highway to wake up the administration to our urgent need for water to irrigate our lands," Javaid Ahmad, a farmer from Barsoo village in Awantipora area of Pulwama district, said.
Only few days were left for sowing paddy but the concerned authorities did not pay any attention to the request of farmers to restore irrigation facilities in the area, Ahmed claimed.
The blocked highway left thousands passengers, including tourists, stranded along the 294-km road.
Policemen have been rushed to the spot to clear the highway off the protestors, a traffic department official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'