Tourists stranded as farmers block J&K NH over water woes
Srinagar: Thousands of passengers, including tourists, are stranded on the Jammu-Srinagar highway as farmers blocked the road at Awantipora demanding proper water supply for irrigation purposes.
"We have been left with no option but to block the highway to wake up the administration to our urgent need for water to irrigate our lands," Javaid Ahmad, a farmer from Barsoo village in Awantipora area of Pulwama district, said.
Only few days were left for sowing paddy but the concerned authorities did not pay any attention to the request of farmers to restore irrigation facilities in the area, Ahmed claimed.
The blocked highway left thousands passengers, including tourists, stranded along the 294-km road.
Policemen have been rushed to the spot to clear the highway off the protestors, a traffic department official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead