Tourists stranded as farmers block J&K NH over water woes
Srinagar: Thousands of passengers, including tourists, are stranded on the Jammu-Srinagar highway as farmers blocked the road at Awantipora demanding proper water supply for irrigation purposes.
"We have been left with no option but to block the highway to wake up the administration to our urgent need for water to irrigate our lands," Javaid Ahmad, a farmer from Barsoo village in Awantipora area of Pulwama district, said.
Only few days were left for sowing paddy but the concerned authorities did not pay any attention to the request of farmers to restore irrigation facilities in the area, Ahmed claimed.
The blocked highway left thousands passengers, including tourists, stranded along the 294-km road.
Policemen have been rushed to the spot to clear the highway off the protestors, a traffic department official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'