Traders` strike affects Kashmir Valley
Srinagar: Normal life in the Kashmir Valley
was disrupted on Tuesday due to a bandh called by Kashmir Economic
Alliance (KEA), an amalgam of traders` bodies in the region.
Shops and business establishments across the Valley
remained closed due to the bandh called by KEA to press for
its demands, officials said.
Public transport facilities were also severely affected
due to the strike. However, school buses and some private
vehicles could be seen plying the roads in the city and other
parts of the Valley, the officials said.
KEA has been demanding inclusion of revocation of
additional taxes on property, power and water, end to the
exploitation of the state`s natural resources, revocation of
new VAT return forms and immediate ban on movement of tourist
buses from outside Jammu and Kashmir.
It is also demanding better facilities for traders
involved in cross-Line of Control (LoC) trade, a KEA spokesman
He said the alliance had chalked out a peaceful programme
to bring to notice of the people the demands of traders,
transports, industrialists and tourism bodies.
"We have met various government representatives in the
past few months to put forth our demands but the government
paid no heed forcing us to pour on the roads," he said.
KEA called for a bandh yesterday after over a dozen of
its members were detained by police during a march of members
of various trade, industries, transport and tourism bodies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report