Traders` strike affects Kashmir Valley
Srinagar: Normal life in the Kashmir Valley
was disrupted on Tuesday due to a bandh called by Kashmir Economic
Alliance (KEA), an amalgam of traders` bodies in the region.
Shops and business establishments across the Valley
remained closed due to the bandh called by KEA to press for
its demands, officials said.
Public transport facilities were also severely affected
due to the strike. However, school buses and some private
vehicles could be seen plying the roads in the city and other
parts of the Valley, the officials said.
KEA has been demanding inclusion of revocation of
additional taxes on property, power and water, end to the
exploitation of the state`s natural resources, revocation of
new VAT return forms and immediate ban on movement of tourist
buses from outside Jammu and Kashmir.
It is also demanding better facilities for traders
involved in cross-Line of Control (LoC) trade, a KEA spokesman
He said the alliance had chalked out a peaceful programme
to bring to notice of the people the demands of traders,
transports, industrialists and tourism bodies.
"We have met various government representatives in the
past few months to put forth our demands but the government
paid no heed forcing us to pour on the roads," he said.
KEA called for a bandh yesterday after over a dozen of
its members were detained by police during a march of members
of various trade, industries, transport and tourism bodies.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed