Trains to link Katra soon
New Delhi: Jammu and Kashmir`s Katra town, the base camp for pilgrims visiting the Vaishno Devi shrine, will soon come on the railway map, it was announced on Wednesday.
Railway Minister Mallikarjun Kharge said passenger services up to Katra were expected to commence shortly as construction of the rail line on the Udhampur-Katra section had been completed.
Presenting the interim rail budget in the Lok Sabha for the next fiscal, the minister said the rail line will help lakhs to reach the foothills of the Vaishno Devi shrine.
The small town of Katra lies in Udhampur district.
According to the minister, Kashmir`s rail project witnessed a major landmark in June last year when the 11.2-km tunnel linking Banihal with Qazigund in the Kashmir Valley became operational.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi