Trains to link Katra soon
New Delhi: Jammu and Kashmir`s Katra town, the base camp for pilgrims visiting the Vaishno Devi shrine, will soon come on the railway map, it was announced on Wednesday.
Railway Minister Mallikarjun Kharge said passenger services up to Katra were expected to commence shortly as construction of the rail line on the Udhampur-Katra section had been completed.
Presenting the interim rail budget in the Lok Sabha for the next fiscal, the minister said the rail line will help lakhs to reach the foothills of the Vaishno Devi shrine.
The small town of Katra lies in Udhampur district.
According to the minister, Kashmir`s rail project witnessed a major landmark in June last year when the 11.2-km tunnel linking Banihal with Qazigund in the Kashmir Valley became operational.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash