‘Transfer court martial in Pathribal case outside Nagrota’
Srinagar: Opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) MLA Peerzada Mansoor friday demanded transfer of the court martial proceedings in the Pathribal Fake encounter case from Nagrota Army camp in Jammu to either Srinagar or Anantnag in Jammu.
"The court martial proceedings in the Pathribal killing of five innocent persons, which has been established by premier investigating agency of the country CBI, should be transferred to either Srinagar or Anantnag for the convenience of the families of the victims," Mansoor said in the state assembly.
The PDP MLA also demanded that the summons for appearing before the court martial should not be served directly by the Army.
"The summons should be served through police," he added.
Five persons were killed in an alleged fake encounter at Pathribal in Anantnag district in March 2000 and dubbed as foreign militants responsible for massacre of 35 Sikhs in nearby Chittisinghpora village.
A CBI inquiry into the incident concluded that the deceased were not militants but innocent locals and filed chargesheet against five Army officials, including an officer of the rank of a Brigadier.
However, Army opposed the chargesheet right upto the Supreme Court, claiming immunity under Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA).
Supreme Court, earlier this year, directed the Army either to exercise the option of trying the accused officials in a court martial or allow a trial by the civil court.
In June this year, the army opted to conduct court martial proceedings against the accused men.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery