Tremor rocks Kashmir
Srinagar: A moderate intensity quake rocked the Kashmir valley Saturday night although no damage to life or property was reported.
A tremor occurred in the valley at 11.20 pm on Saturday, a Met Department official told a news agency Sunday.
The quake measured 5.9 on the Richter scale with its epicentre in the Hindukush mountains in Afghanistan, the official said.
Coordinates of the tremor were latitude 33.7 degrees north and longitude 75.6 degrees east.
No damage to life or property has so far been reported from anywhere although many said they felt the quake.
Kashmir is situated in an earthquake-prone region. Over 40,000 people were killed in a temblor across the Line of Control Oct 8, 2005. The quake measured 7.9 on the Richter scale.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- Facebook doesn't pose threat: YouTube