Troops hunt for militants hiding in Kashmir forest
Srinagar: Army, paramilitary and police forces on Thursday moved reinforcements to cordon off Khrew forest in south Kashmir`s Pulwama district to nab suspected militants holed up in the area, a police official said.
"We believe the militants are still hiding in the area though they have moved deeper into the forest. We have reinforced the cordon and searches are continuing," a senior police officer told a news service here.
The officer said that one militant has been killed in a three-day operation in the forest area where at least 10 heavily armed insurgents are believed to be hiding.
The killed separatist guerrilla was identified as Mudasir, an expert bomb maker of the Lashkar-e-Toiba, he said.
Reports on Wednesday said that Army helicopters have been deployed in the area to hunt down the hiding guerrillas.
"The troops are searching the forest area, though there has been no contact with the militants today (Thursday)," the officer said.
Operations are also on in Zachaldara forest area in north Kashmir`s Kupwara district where the security forces have so far killed three LeT militants including a top commander.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Uttarakhand: MBBS students builds toilets in a village in Rishikesh
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- RCom-Aircel expected to sign merger deal by Sept 1st week
- Mehbooba flies to Delhi as one more killed in Kashmir violence; toll rises to 70
- Atlanta Healthcare introduces military grade anti-pollution masks
- FIFA seeks ban for Qatar, Asian FC officials for refusing to cooperate with inquiry
- RBI wants to liberalise while strengthening bond markets: Raghuram Rajan