Troops hunt for militants hiding in Kashmir forest
Srinagar: Army, paramilitary and police forces on Thursday moved reinforcements to cordon off Khrew forest in south Kashmir`s Pulwama district to nab suspected militants holed up in the area, a police official said.
"We believe the militants are still hiding in the area though they have moved deeper into the forest. We have reinforced the cordon and searches are continuing," a senior police officer told a news service here.
The officer said that one militant has been killed in a three-day operation in the forest area where at least 10 heavily armed insurgents are believed to be hiding.
The killed separatist guerrilla was identified as Mudasir, an expert bomb maker of the Lashkar-e-Toiba, he said.
Reports on Wednesday said that Army helicopters have been deployed in the area to hunt down the hiding guerrillas.
"The troops are searching the forest area, though there has been no contact with the militants today (Thursday)," the officer said.
Operations are also on in Zachaldara forest area in north Kashmir`s Kupwara district where the security forces have so far killed three LeT militants including a top commander.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- Ryan child death: Sexual assault allegations should be probed, says Manish Sisodia
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India