Two BSF men killed in militant attack near IAF airfield in J&K
Srinagar: Two BSF personnel, including an officer, were killed while four others injured when militants opened fired at their vehicle near the Awantipora IAF airfield in Jammu and Kashmir on Saturday.
Officials said a Border Security Force (BSF) team was on way for change of guard when they were hit by a hail of bullets in Kuil in Pulwama district, 33 kms from here, this afternoon at 1340pm.
The BSF is deployed for securing the Indian Air Force airfield which is used by defence forces for air operations.
The paramilitary squad that came under militant attack belongs to BSF`s 165th and 92nd battalions.
"The militants opened fire at the BSF squad that was in a military gypsy. They were moving towards the airfield. Two personnel were killed and four have been injured in the firing," a senior official said.
Reinforcements of the Rashtriya Rifles and BSF found the troops lying inside the dark-green vehicle in a pool of blood on a wet mud track flanked by bushes next to the airfield.
Immediately after the firing, the other BSF personnel present on the spot retaliated but the militants fled.
"The vehicle which was hit was the last in the three-vehicle convoy," the official said.
The injured have been shifted to Army base hospital in the vicinity of the airfield, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Assembly polls 2016: Arch political rivals PM Narendra Modi, Sonia Gandhi soon to hit Kerala
- Several radical mosques under surveillance: German intelligence head
- NEET exemption row: Supreme Court to hear fresh plea regarding MBBS, BDS entrance test today
- Prisoners revolt in Syria's Hama jail, seize guards - Syrian Observatory
- Spain misses deadline for new government, June election set