Two cops arrested in Sopore custodial death case
Srinagar: The special investigating team (SIT) probing the custodial death of a 26-year old youth in Jammu and Kashmir`s Sopore town on Saturday arrested two police constables for their alleged involvement in the death, police said.
A police spokesman said two policemen were arrested by the SIT in Sopore.
"The SIT which is being supervised by deputy inspector general of police, north Kashmir today (Saturday) arrested selection grade constable, Nisar Ahmad and selection grade constable, Mohammad Abbas in case FIR No. 202 /2011 under section 302 RPC (Ranbir Penal Code) lodged in police station Sopore regarding the death of Nazim Rashid alias Naveed Anjum", the spokesman said.
Nazim had been picked by police for questioning on July 30 and he died while in custody hours later.
The death triggered protests and a valley-wide shutdown called by the separatist groups.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Zee Media Exclusive: In conversation with BJP President Amit Shah