Two cops arrested in Sopore custodial death case
Srinagar: The special investigating team (SIT) probing the custodial death of a 26-year old youth in Jammu and Kashmir`s Sopore town on Saturday arrested two police constables for their alleged involvement in the death, police said.
A police spokesman said two policemen were arrested by the SIT in Sopore.
"The SIT which is being supervised by deputy inspector general of police, north Kashmir today (Saturday) arrested selection grade constable, Nisar Ahmad and selection grade constable, Mohammad Abbas in case FIR No. 202 /2011 under section 302 RPC (Ranbir Penal Code) lodged in police station Sopore regarding the death of Nazim Rashid alias Naveed Anjum", the spokesman said.
Nazim had been picked by police for questioning on July 30 and he died while in custody hours later.
The death triggered protests and a valley-wide shutdown called by the separatist groups.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Parliament deadlock: BJP says blame Sonia if Monsoon Session washed out, calls Congress 'confused'