Two cops arrested in Sopore custodial death case
Srinagar: The special investigating team (SIT) probing the custodial death of a 26-year old youth in Jammu and Kashmir`s Sopore town on Saturday arrested two police constables for their alleged involvement in the death, police said.
A police spokesman said two policemen were arrested by the SIT in Sopore.
"The SIT which is being supervised by deputy inspector general of police, north Kashmir today (Saturday) arrested selection grade constable, Nisar Ahmad and selection grade constable, Mohammad Abbas in case FIR No. 202 /2011 under section 302 RPC (Ranbir Penal Code) lodged in police station Sopore regarding the death of Nazim Rashid alias Naveed Anjum", the spokesman said.
Nazim had been picked by police for questioning on July 30 and he died while in custody hours later.
The death triggered protests and a valley-wide shutdown called by the separatist groups.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- Army, CRPF squabble over who killed Pampore terrorists
- This smartphone app can help you avoid unplanned pregnancy!
- Taiwan 'to test-fire missiles in US' as China tensions rise
- Juno on Jupiter's doorstep: Stunning view of giant planet and its largest moons (Pic inside)!
- 'Can you spare USD10 to help elect a billionaire?' - Trump emails