Two cops arrested in Sopore custodial death case
Srinagar: The special investigating team (SIT) probing the custodial death of a 26-year old youth in Jammu and Kashmir`s Sopore town on Saturday arrested two police constables for their alleged involvement in the death, police said.
A police spokesman said two policemen were arrested by the SIT in Sopore.
"The SIT which is being supervised by deputy inspector general of police, north Kashmir today (Saturday) arrested selection grade constable, Nisar Ahmad and selection grade constable, Mohammad Abbas in case FIR No. 202 /2011 under section 302 RPC (Ranbir Penal Code) lodged in police station Sopore regarding the death of Nazim Rashid alias Naveed Anjum", the spokesman said.
Nazim had been picked by police for questioning on July 30 and he died while in custody hours later.
The death triggered protests and a valley-wide shutdown called by the separatist groups.
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Heatwave grips east, central and peninsular India; many dead in Assam, Arunachal Pradesh due to cyclone, hailstorm
- Anti-Donald Trump protests break out for second day in California
- UN council discusses move to enforce North Korea sanctions
- Norway helicopter crash: All 13 people on board dead, 11 bodies recovered
- Britain`s queen joins royal Invictus Games challenge to Obamas -Watch video