Two dead in Kashmir terror strike
Srinagar: Two people, including a policeman, were killed in a gunfight between militants and security personnel in north Kashmir`s Sopore town Friday after militants lobbed a grenade at a police station, officials said. Three people were hurt in the attack.
"Militants hurled a grenade at the Sopore police station in the morning. The grenade hit the roof of the building and then exploded at the entrance of the police station after rolling down," a police officer told reporters.
"One Congress activist identified as Mohammad Lateef Mirchal was injured in the grenade explosion," he said.
Once senior police officers reached the explosion site, militants who were hiding in the vicinity opened fire, triggering a gun battle.
"Nearly 45 minutes after the grenade explosion, when the area superintendent of police reached the spot, the militants who were hiding in a lane fired at the security men, injuring four policemen and three civilians," the officer said.
"The fire was returned by the police and the area has been cordoned off to carry out searches there," he said. The official added that the exchange of fire had stopped.
Two people - a policeman and a civilian - were killed in the firing. The civilian was identified as Parveez Ahmad.
The explosion and the gun battle has led to tension in Sopore, 54 km from here. Security forces have been put on high alert and searches are on to trace the militants responsible for the attack.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi