Two dead in Kashmir terror strike
Srinagar: Two people, including a policeman, were killed in a gunfight between militants and security personnel in north Kashmir`s Sopore town Friday after militants lobbed a grenade at a police station, officials said. Three people were hurt in the attack.
"Militants hurled a grenade at the Sopore police station in the morning. The grenade hit the roof of the building and then exploded at the entrance of the police station after rolling down," a police officer told reporters.
"One Congress activist identified as Mohammad Lateef Mirchal was injured in the grenade explosion," he said.
Once senior police officers reached the explosion site, militants who were hiding in the vicinity opened fire, triggering a gun battle.
"Nearly 45 minutes after the grenade explosion, when the area superintendent of police reached the spot, the militants who were hiding in a lane fired at the security men, injuring four policemen and three civilians," the officer said.
"The fire was returned by the police and the area has been cordoned off to carry out searches there," he said. The official added that the exchange of fire had stopped.
Two people - a policeman and a civilian - were killed in the firing. The civilian was identified as Parveez Ahmad.
The explosion and the gun battle has led to tension in Sopore, 54 km from here. Security forces have been put on high alert and searches are on to trace the militants responsible for the attack.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Disruption of Parliament not acceptable, for God's sake, do your job: President Pranab Mukherjee to MPs