Two dead in Kashmir terror strike
Srinagar: Two people, including a policeman, were killed in a gunfight between militants and security personnel in north Kashmir`s Sopore town Friday after militants lobbed a grenade at a police station, officials said. Three people were hurt in the attack.
"Militants hurled a grenade at the Sopore police station in the morning. The grenade hit the roof of the building and then exploded at the entrance of the police station after rolling down," a police officer told reporters.
"One Congress activist identified as Mohammad Lateef Mirchal was injured in the grenade explosion," he said.
Once senior police officers reached the explosion site, militants who were hiding in the vicinity opened fire, triggering a gun battle.
"Nearly 45 minutes after the grenade explosion, when the area superintendent of police reached the spot, the militants who were hiding in a lane fired at the security men, injuring four policemen and three civilians," the officer said.
"The fire was returned by the police and the area has been cordoned off to carry out searches there," he said. The official added that the exchange of fire had stopped.
Two people - a policeman and a civilian - were killed in the firing. The civilian was identified as Parveez Ahmad.
The explosion and the gun battle has led to tension in Sopore, 54 km from here. Security forces have been put on high alert and searches are on to trace the militants responsible for the attack.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown