Two guerrillas, army officer killed in Kashmir gunfight
Srinagar: Two separatist guerrillas and an army officer were killed in a gunfight between security forces and guerrillas in Jammu and Kashmir`s Shopian district Friday, police said.
A senior police officer said the gunfight ensued after a joint team of counter-insurgency Rashtriya Rifles (RR) and the special operations group (SOG) of the state police surrounded a house in Manloo village of Shopian Friday afternoon following specific information about the presence of a group of guerrillas there.
"When the hiding militants were challenged to surrender, they opened automatic gunfire at the surrounding security forces including those of 44 RR and the SOG, critically injuring an army major and a jawan," he said, adding both the militants were killed in the subsequent gunfight.
The officer also succumbed to his wounds, while the injured soldier has been shifted to hospital for treatment, said the police officer.
Reports from Manloo village, 60 km from here, said the house in which the guerrillas had been hiding was completely destroyed in the firefight.
Searches are still on at the site of the gunfight.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- Quota row: Hardik Patel threatens Gujarat’s govt again
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Shocking revelation! Indrani Mukherjea's daughter Sheena Bora was pregnant