Two guerrillas, army officer killed in Kashmir gunfight
Srinagar: Two separatist guerrillas and an army officer were killed in a gunfight between security forces and guerrillas in Jammu and Kashmir`s Shopian district Friday, police said.
A senior police officer said the gunfight ensued after a joint team of counter-insurgency Rashtriya Rifles (RR) and the special operations group (SOG) of the state police surrounded a house in Manloo village of Shopian Friday afternoon following specific information about the presence of a group of guerrillas there.
"When the hiding militants were challenged to surrender, they opened automatic gunfire at the surrounding security forces including those of 44 RR and the SOG, critically injuring an army major and a jawan," he said, adding both the militants were killed in the subsequent gunfight.
The officer also succumbed to his wounds, while the injured soldier has been shifted to hospital for treatment, said the police officer.
Reports from Manloo village, 60 km from here, said the house in which the guerrillas had been hiding was completely destroyed in the firefight.
Searches are still on at the site of the gunfight.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'