Two held for illicit smuggling of deodar timber
Srinagar: A forest official and one other person were arrested in Kupwara district of north Kashmir for allegedly smuggling deodar timber, police said today.
A Block Forest Officer and a timber smuggler were arrested when police, on a tip-off, raided forest compartment number 46 in Kupwara, 90 km from here, last evening, police said.
About 147 cubic feet of deodar timber cut illegally was seized during the operation, they said.
"The timber was cut down by a group of smugglers in connivance with the concerned forest official," they said.
A case was registered in Kralpora Police Station, they said, adding, efforts were on to trace others involved in the smuggling.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I know why Indrani Mukherjea murdered my sister Sheena: Mikhail Bora
- OROP issue: With no breakthrough in sight, Army veterans may meet PM Narendra Modi today
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police