Two held for online abusing all-girl rock band of Kashmir
Srinagar: Two youth were arrested Wednesday night in connection with the online abuses and threats to the all-girls rock band of Kashmir, which forced them to quit singing.
Tariq Khan was apprehended from Bijbehara, a town in South Kashmir, and Rameez Shah was arrested from Ganderbal in central Kashmir, police sources said.
Police continued to raid different places to apprehend a third accused who hails from Batmaloo area of Srinagar city.
Jammu and Kashmir Director General of Police Ashok Prasad, who is closely monitoring the case, has directed stepping up of patrolling in the areas where two of the three girls of the band group reside.
Police have started tracking down the Internet Protocl addresses of the 26 users whose comments, out of the total 900 posts on the band`s Facebook page, were found abusive, officials said.
They said the delay of three days in lodging the FIR was due to large number of posts on the Facebook page of Kashmir`s all-girl band `Pragaash`, that took time to get scanned.
A case in the matter has been registered under Section 66A of IT Act and Section 506 RPC (criminal intimidation) in the Rajbagh police station here.
A member of the band had yesterday said they decided to call it quits as they respected the decree of Kashmir`s grand mufti who found singing un-Islamic.
"We respect the Mufti sahib who said it (singing) is `Haram`. We respect the opinion of people of Kashmir also. That is why we quit," she said adding that the band was not disbanded because of online threats.
The DGP has requested all central agencies to extend support to apprehend all those who had hurled online abuses at the all-girls band.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'