Two held for online abusing all-girl rock band of Kashmir
Srinagar: Two youth were arrested Wednesday night in connection with the online abuses and threats to the all-girls rock band of Kashmir, which forced them to quit singing.
Tariq Khan was apprehended from Bijbehara, a town in South Kashmir, and Rameez Shah was arrested from Ganderbal in central Kashmir, police sources said.
Police continued to raid different places to apprehend a third accused who hails from Batmaloo area of Srinagar city.
Jammu and Kashmir Director General of Police Ashok Prasad, who is closely monitoring the case, has directed stepping up of patrolling in the areas where two of the three girls of the band group reside.
Police have started tracking down the Internet Protocl addresses of the 26 users whose comments, out of the total 900 posts on the band`s Facebook page, were found abusive, officials said.
They said the delay of three days in lodging the FIR was due to large number of posts on the Facebook page of Kashmir`s all-girl band `Pragaash`, that took time to get scanned.
A case in the matter has been registered under Section 66A of IT Act and Section 506 RPC (criminal intimidation) in the Rajbagh police station here.
A member of the band had yesterday said they decided to call it quits as they respected the decree of Kashmir`s grand mufti who found singing un-Islamic.
"We respect the Mufti sahib who said it (singing) is `Haram`. We respect the opinion of people of Kashmir also. That is why we quit," she said adding that the band was not disbanded because of online threats.
The DGP has requested all central agencies to extend support to apprehend all those who had hurled online abuses at the all-girls band.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof