Two Hizbul Mujahideen men arrested in Mumbai
Mumbai: Two terror suspects associated with Hizbul Mujahideen have been arrested here on charges of circulating fake Indian currency and carrying out surveillance of vital installations across the country, particularly in Jammu and Kashmir, police said on Tuesday.
Farooq Naiku (37) and Mohammed Talukdar (32) were nabbed from a guest house in south Mumbai with fake currency notes on January 16, Joint Commissioner of Police (Crime) Himanshu Roy said.
The duo was produced before a court the next day and remanded in police custody till January 23.
During interrogation, it was revealed that Farooq was an active member of PoK-based terror group Hizbul-Mujahideen and operating mainly in Jammu and Kashmir, Roy said.
Farooq, a resident of Baramula in the border state, has been staying in Navi Mumbai for last one-and-a-half year posing as a dry fruits trader.
Farooq and Mohammed were actively involved in fake currency circulation and narcotics trade. According to police, Farooq was an expert in photography, computer operations and other communication modes. He has allegedly photographed several vital installations in Jammu and Kashmir.
Farooq has also gone to Pakistan via Wagah border on several occasions since 2001. Officially, he has crossed the Indo-Pak border three times. He has been in contact with handlers of Hizbul Mujahideen, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation