Two Hizbul Mujahideen men arrested in Mumbai
Mumbai: Two terror suspects associated with Hizbul Mujahideen have been arrested here on charges of circulating fake Indian currency and carrying out surveillance of vital installations across the country, particularly in Jammu and Kashmir, police said on Tuesday.
Farooq Naiku (37) and Mohammed Talukdar (32) were nabbed from a guest house in south Mumbai with fake currency notes on January 16, Joint Commissioner of Police (Crime) Himanshu Roy said.
The duo was produced before a court the next day and remanded in police custody till January 23.
During interrogation, it was revealed that Farooq was an active member of PoK-based terror group Hizbul-Mujahideen and operating mainly in Jammu and Kashmir, Roy said.
Farooq, a resident of Baramula in the border state, has been staying in Navi Mumbai for last one-and-a-half year posing as a dry fruits trader.
Farooq and Mohammed were actively involved in fake currency circulation and narcotics trade. According to police, Farooq was an expert in photography, computer operations and other communication modes. He has allegedly photographed several vital installations in Jammu and Kashmir.
Farooq has also gone to Pakistan via Wagah border on several occasions since 2001. Officially, he has crossed the Indo-Pak border three times. He has been in contact with handlers of Hizbul Mujahideen, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days