Two journalists detained in J&K
Srinagar: Two journalists, including a
Mexican national, were detained by security forces while
covering the clashes between police and stone-pelting
protestors in Nowhatta area of old Srinagar city.
Showkat Shafi, who contributes as a freelancer to
Al-Jazeera, and a Mexican photojournalist Narciso Contreras
were detained by police at Nowhatta as they were covering the
clashes between protestors and law enforcing agencies,
official sources said.
The scribes alleged that they were thrashed by CRPF and
police personnel and later taken to police station Nowhatta.
"We were released after five hours after being severely
beaten," Showkat told reporters.
However, police denied the allegations of beating up
the journalists but admitted that the scribes were asked to
leave the place as they could have "come in the harm?s way"
during the clashes.
A group of youth hurled stones at security forces at
Nowhatta and adjoining areas soon after the Friday
congregation at Jamia Masjid.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH