Two journalists detained in J&K
Srinagar: Two journalists, including a
Mexican national, were detained by security forces while
covering the clashes between police and stone-pelting
protestors in Nowhatta area of old Srinagar city.
Showkat Shafi, who contributes as a freelancer to
Al-Jazeera, and a Mexican photojournalist Narciso Contreras
were detained by police at Nowhatta as they were covering the
clashes between protestors and law enforcing agencies,
official sources said.
The scribes alleged that they were thrashed by CRPF and
police personnel and later taken to police station Nowhatta.
"We were released after five hours after being severely
beaten," Showkat told reporters.
However, police denied the allegations of beating up
the journalists but admitted that the scribes were asked to
leave the place as they could have "come in the harm?s way"
during the clashes.
A group of youth hurled stones at security forces at
Nowhatta and adjoining areas soon after the Friday
congregation at Jamia Masjid.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Why Modi never spoke on issues like beef or Muzaffarnagar, asks Manmohan Singh
- 4th ODI: South Africa vs England - Hosts win game by solitary wicket to level series
- JNUSU prez Kanhaiya Kumar sent to 3-day police custody over Afzal Guru row, says being targeted for defeating ABVP in polls
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Delhi Police issues alert over alleged Hafiz Saeed's tweet backing 'pro-Pak' JNU protesters