Two LeT militants killed in encounter
Srinagar: Two suspected Lashkar-e-Toiba militants, allegedly involved in a grenade attack on a tourist cab in July, were killed and three security personnel, including two Army officers, injured in a fierce gun-battle in Pulwama district of South Kashmir on Friday, police said.
Seven civilians were also injured as security forces opened fire to chase away stone-pelting protestors while evacuating the injured colleagues from the gun-battle site, police said.
Deputy Inspector General of police, South Kashmir, Vijay Kumar said the encounter between militants and security forces took place at Asthan Mohalla near village Bubgam in Pulwama town, 32 km from here.
Police along with Rashtriya Rifles and CRPF launched a search operation after receiving information about the presence of militants in the area in the wee hours today, the officer said, adding, two hiding militants opened fire and were killed in the ensuing gun-battle lasting several hours.
He said an Army Major, a Captain and a policeman were injured in the encounter.
Kumar identified the slain militants as Imtiyaz Ahmed Teli alias "Fahadullah Kashmiri" and Mohammad Aamir Bhat alias "Khalid and Khursheed" and added that they were involved in the grenade attack on a tourist cab in Bijbehara on the Srinagar-Jammu national highway in which four women tourists were killed in July this year.
"As per initial investigation, Teli was also involved in a grenade attack at Narwal area of Jammu in November in which one person had died and five others were injured," he said.
Kumar said when the Army Major was being evacuated for treatment, a mob attacked the ambulance in Pulwama town by hurling stones.
"In the retaliatory action seven persons were injured," he said, adding, while six of the injured have been admitted in SMHS hospital, another was undergoing treatment at Bone and Joints Hospital here.
A policeman also received injuries after he was hit by a stone during the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared on May 25