Two LeT militants killed in encounter
Srinagar: Two suspected Lashkar-e-Toiba militants, allegedly involved in a grenade attack on a tourist cab in July, were killed and three security personnel, including two Army officers, injured in a fierce gun-battle in Pulwama district of South Kashmir on Friday, police said.
Seven civilians were also injured as security forces opened fire to chase away stone-pelting protestors while evacuating the injured colleagues from the gun-battle site, police said.
Deputy Inspector General of police, South Kashmir, Vijay Kumar said the encounter between militants and security forces took place at Asthan Mohalla near village Bubgam in Pulwama town, 32 km from here.
Police along with Rashtriya Rifles and CRPF launched a search operation after receiving information about the presence of militants in the area in the wee hours today, the officer said, adding, two hiding militants opened fire and were killed in the ensuing gun-battle lasting several hours.
He said an Army Major, a Captain and a policeman were injured in the encounter.
Kumar identified the slain militants as Imtiyaz Ahmed Teli alias "Fahadullah Kashmiri" and Mohammad Aamir Bhat alias "Khalid and Khursheed" and added that they were involved in the grenade attack on a tourist cab in Bijbehara on the Srinagar-Jammu national highway in which four women tourists were killed in July this year.
"As per initial investigation, Teli was also involved in a grenade attack at Narwal area of Jammu in November in which one person had died and five others were injured," he said.
Kumar said when the Army Major was being evacuated for treatment, a mob attacked the ambulance in Pulwama town by hurling stones.
"In the retaliatory action seven persons were injured," he said, adding, while six of the injured have been admitted in SMHS hospital, another was undergoing treatment at Bone and Joints Hospital here.
A policeman also received injuries after he was hit by a stone during the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Uttarakhand: MBBS students builds toilets in a village in Rishikesh
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- James Rodriguez may make last Real Madrid appearance in Celta Vigo game
- Manufacturing growth to be higher in Q2 on better export outlook: Survey
- Assocham for penalty waiver in initial phase of GST rollout
- Roberto Martinez announced Thierry Henry as assistant coach for Belgium
- Olympic Dreams: Rickshaw driver buys shooter daughter rifle worth 5 lakh that was saved for her wedding