Two LeT militants, policeman killed in gunbattle in Kashmir
Srinagar: Two Lashkar-e-Taiba militants and a policeman were killed in a fierce gunbattle between ultras and security forces in Kulgam district of south Kashmir on Monday, police said.
The gunfight erupted in Dodhipora village, some 75-km from here, when a joint team of police and Rashtriya Rifles launched a search operation to flush out hiding militants.
Security forces confronted the ultras and in the ensuing gunbattle, two LeT ultras and a cop were killed, a police spokesman said.
The search operation was still on, he said adding this was the second major encounter between militants and security forces in the Valley in the past one week.
On December 19, six hardcore LeT militants were killed in Sopore town in north Kashmir`s Baramulla district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- Stand by what I said about RSS, will never stop fighting its hateful agenda: Rahul Gandhi
- Mercedes to have petrol option for all models in India by September
- Battled empty seats at Olympics but Rio organisers witness record as 133,000 tickets get sold in 1 day for Paralympic Games
- PM Narendra Modi's brother raises arrest of dhaba owner with Indore police chief
- Adani Food's pulses processing unit proposal in SEZ rejected