Two militants killed as Army foils infiltration bid in Poonch
Jammu: Two militants were killed when Army foiled an infiltration bid along Line of Control (LoC) in Poonch district of Jammu and Kashmir, the second this month.
A jawan was also injured in the exchange of fire late last night.
A group of four militants were seen moving inside Indian territory along LoC in forward belt Kalsia in Poonch district, a Army officer told PTI on Saturday.
Army troops challenged them and the militants opened fire on the troops, who retaliated. In the ensuing encounter, two militants were killed and a soldier suffered injuries.
He has been been hospitalised, the officer said, adding bodies have been recovered and a search operation is going on.
May 3, troops foiled an infiltration bid along LoC in Sawjian belt of Poonch district.
There were inputs that militants were trying to infiltrate into India and the firing from Pakistani side was "probably a ploy", the Army officer said.
"They resort to ceasefire violation by resorting to firing on Indian posts to give cover to infiltrating militants and divert attention of the troops," the officer said.
There has been four ceasefire violations in past fortnight along LoC. On May 5, Pakistani troops violated ceasefire by resorting to firing from automatic weapons on Indian posts along the LoC in Bhimber Gali area of Rajouri district.
On May 3, Pakistani troops indulged in firing from small arms and automatic weapons on Indian posts along the LoC in Mendhar in Poonch district from 2330 hours but there was no loss of life or injury.
On April 28, Pakistani troops resorted to firing from small arms and automatic weapons on Indian posts along the LoC in Bhimber Gali in Rajouri district.
April 25, Pakistani troops violated the ceasefire by firing with small arms and mortars on Indian posts in Doda battalion areas along the LoC in Poonch district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- David Headley reveals Pakistan's role in 26/11 terror attacks
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism? - Part II
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- UP: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Renowned Urdu poet Nida Fazli dies at 78
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report