Two militants killed in encounter in J&K
Srinagar: Two militants were killed on Sunday in
a fierce gun battle with security forces in the forest area of
Kangan in central Kashmir`s Ganderbal district.
Officials said body of one militant has been recovered
from the site of the encounter and search is on for the other.
Acting on a tip-off, Army assisted by police launched
search operation in Chattergul forests in Kangan area, 50 kms
from here, on Srinagar-Leh road, the officials said.
They said contact was established with a group of
militants, who opened firing on the security forces.
The security forces returned the firing, triggering off a
gun battle. Two militants were killed in the encounter during
which a residential house was gutted.
So far only one body has been recovered while search
is on for the other militant, the officials said, adding that
an AK rifle has been recovered from the spot.
Although the identity and group affiliation of the
militants was not immediately known, a senior police officer
said preliminary investigations have revealed that they were
"The inmates of the house where the militants were
hiding told us that they were speaking a language which they
could not comprehend. Probably, they were Afghans or from NWFP
(Khyber Pakhtunhhwa)," SP Ganderbal Shahid Mehraj said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?- Part V
- DNA: Analysis on Ishrat Jahan encounter case
- DNA: After JNU, anti-India slogans at Delhi’s Press Club of India
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?- Part II
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!