Two militants killed in gunbattle in Pulwama
Srinagar: Security forces on Thursday claimed to
have killed two militants in Pulwama district of South Kashmir
after a four-hour-long gunbattle that ended after midday.
The encounter ended around 1 PM after the house, from
where the militants were firing at the search parties, was
brought down at village Shankerpora, 40 kms from here, Senior
Superintendent of Police, Pulwama, Kifayat Hyder said.
He, however, said the bodies of the militants were yet to
"We are sifting through the debris and it will take some
more time," the SSP said adding the ultras fired over 200
rounds since the beginning of the encounter at around 8.45 AM.
The village was cordoned off by a joint party of police
and security forces last evening following specific inputs
about the presence of the ultras, he said.
After plugging all escape routes, the search parties moved
to the house this morning and asked the militants to surrender
but they refused and instead started firing, Hyder said.
This is the third encounter in four days in the valley.
Two militants of Jaish-e-Mohammad (JEM) outfit were
killed in a day-long encounter in Chandoosa area of north
Kashmir`s Baramulla district yesterday.
In another incident, a self-styled district commander of
Lashker-e-Toiba and his close accomplice were shot dead in
Kulgam district in south Kashmir on Monday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- GST bill will continue to rule market sentiments
- Nepali PM KP Sharma Oli appears likely to lose no-confidence vote
- Rio Olympics 2016: Shooter Chain Singh to be discharged from hospital today
- 7.5% economic growth failed to change people's lives: Jean Dreze
- 'Kaabil' an opportunity to establish myself commercially: Yami Gautam