Two militants killed near Jammu
Jammu: Two militants were killed in a gunfight with security forces Sunday morning in Jammu and Kashmir`s Doda district, police said.
A joint team of the Indian Army and Jammu and Kashmir Police raided a suspected hideout of militants in the jungles in Gandoh area in Doda, some 180 km from Jammu. A gun battle followed in which two militants were killed, a police official said.
"It appears that the two belong to Hizbul Mujahideen outfit, but we are trying to verify the details. Searches are also on to find out if there were more militants hiding in the area," a senior police officer of Doda told a news agency over phone.
Security forces have of late been conducting raids in mountainous areas of the Jammu region where militants have carved out hideouts in jungles and naturally made caves.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets