Two militants killed, security personnel injured in Sopore
Srinagar: Two militants were believed to have been killed and as many security force personnel injured in an overnight encounter in Sopore town of Baramulla district of Kashmir.
The house, in which the militants were hiding, has been razed to ground and a search is on to locate the bodies of the two militants after the encounter ended this morning, police said today.
They said two security force personnel -- an Assistant Sub-Inspector of Police and a CRPF jawan -- were injured in the operation that was launched yesterday.
Security forces had cordoned off the Chanakhan locality in Sopore, 52 kms from here, last evening following information about presence of militants in the area.
The militants opened fire on the security forces, triggering the encounter.
Senior police officials had rushed to the spot as a top commander of Lashkar-e-Toiba was believed to be trapped in the house.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- 3 militants killed in Pakistan
- Donald Trump calls for immediate closure of ''corrupt'' Clinton Foundation
- Hillary Clinton e-mail scandal: FBI discovers 15,000 more e-mails
- British police intercept drones flying drugs, cell phones into London prison
- My writing will never be the same, says author Perumal Murugan