Two militants killed, security personnel injured in Sopore
Srinagar: Two militants were believed to have been killed and as many security force personnel injured in an overnight encounter in Sopore town of Baramulla district of Kashmir.
The house, in which the militants were hiding, has been razed to ground and a search is on to locate the bodies of the two militants after the encounter ended this morning, police said today.
They said two security force personnel -- an Assistant Sub-Inspector of Police and a CRPF jawan -- were injured in the operation that was launched yesterday.
Security forces had cordoned off the Chanakhan locality in Sopore, 52 kms from here, last evening following information about presence of militants in the area.
The militants opened fire on the security forces, triggering the encounter.
Senior police officials had rushed to the spot as a top commander of Lashkar-e-Toiba was believed to be trapped in the house.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured