Two more Amarnath pilgrims die, toll rises to 85
Srinagar: Two more pilgrims died on Tuesday en route to the 3,880-metre high Amarnath cave shrine where the pilgrim footfall touched the five lakh mark since the commencement of the pilgrimage last month, officials said.
The two pilgrims - Ashok Keema (25) of Jammu and Patheera Lal (62) of Gujarat - died of cardiac arrest at Panjtarni and Poshpathri en route to the shrine, the officials said.
With this, the death toll in the ongoing pilgrimage has risen to 85, which includes 82 pilgrims, two porters and an Army jawan. Most of the deaths were caused by cardiac arrest.
Meanwhile, an SASB official said that over five lakh pilgrims have paid obeisance at the cave shrine since the commencement of the pilgrimage.
"As many as 5,00,586 yatris have visited the 3,880-metre high cave shrine housing the naturally formed ice-shivlingam since the commencement of the yatra on June 25," an official of Shri Amarnath Shrine Board said.
He said the number of pilgrims having `darshan` at the cave shrine crossed the five lakh mark last evening.
A record number of 6.35 lakh pilgrims offered prayers at the cave shrine last year, while the previous record for the highest number of pilgrims in one year was set in 2005 when 5.31 lakh yatris visited the shrine.
The yatra is scheduled to end on August 2, coinciding with Raksha Bandhan festival.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof