Two snow control room set up in J&K
Jammu: In wake of heavy snowfall in Kashmir Valley and parts of Jammu division, the state government on Friday set up two control rooms to ensure minimum disruption of services.
Two control rooms, one each at Kashmir and Jammu, have been set up to monitor snow clearance activities, Minister Roads and Buildings and Mechanical Engineering Department Abdul Majeed Wani told reporters here.
"The control room for Jammu is at Engineering Institute Ganghinagar, while at Kashmir it has been set up at Chief Engineer, MED office at Shaltaing," he said.
Alerted by the weather forecast, the Roads and Buildings and Mechanical Engineering department has started its preparations to tackle the situation.
Best possible efforts were being made to ensure that snow was removed from roads and it did not disrupt the flow of traffic, especially on major routes, the minister said.
He said the Chief Engineers concerned of both Kashmir and Jammu divisions have been asked to supervise the control rooms, while Chief Engineers of R&B and MED Jammu have been instructed to pass on reports on an hour-to-hour basis.
He said Kashmir Valley has been divided into three zones in which 91 heavy to medium size snow clearance machines have been pressed into service to clear the roads.
Meanwhile, Minister of State for Industries and Commerce, Sajjad Ahmad Kichloo said the opening of Jammu-Srinagar highway for traffic is among the top priorities for the government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: When will Muslim women get freedom from triple divorce?
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Tajikistan bans Russian-style surnames for children
- S&P keeps UK on triple-A rating, says expects no Brexit
- Google Translate turns 10: Five interesting things you want to know about it
- IPL 2016: Rising Pune Supergiants fail yet again as Gujarat Lions continue strong run in maiden season
- AgustaWestland deal: Centre rejects charge that PM Modi struck deal with Italy