Two suspended in Srinagar defence land scam
New Delhi: Government has ordered a CBI
inquiry into an alleged land scam in Srinagar and a Defence Estates Officer (DEO) and a Sub Divisional Officer have been
suspended following preliminary investigations, the Rajya
Sabha was informed on Wednesday.
"On receipt of complaint in a matter related to
issuing of no objection certificate of defence land at
Srinagar a preliminary enquiry was conducted... One DEO and
one SDO (Grade-I) of the Defence Estates have been suspended,"
Defence Minister A K Antony said in a written reply.
In order to get the matter thoroughly investigated and
fix responsibility, the Government has entrusted the
responsibility to CBI, he said.
In reply to a question on another case in Secunderabad in
Andhra Pradesh, Antony said that disciplinary action has been
initiated against the DEO there.
"A lease agreement for defence land in Secunderabad
Cantonment was executed irregularly by the DEO with the
Hyderabad Cricket Association in 2010. Disciplinary action
has been initiated against the then DEO of Secunderabad," he
He also said that an inquiry is going on after a portion
of land in a Jodhpur village in Rajasthan under the occupation
of the Local Military Authority was vacated in 2007.
Replying to a question on transfer of defence land for
civic projects in Pune, he said, "11 proposals have been
received from Pune Municipal Corporation (PMC) for
transfer of Defence land for various civic projects."
While nine proposals are related to widening of roads,
two are for construction of Railway Over Bridge and flyover.
"The proposals are pending mainly due to non-availability
of NOC from Local Military Authorities, non-finalization of
site and non-submission of revised proposals from Pune
Municipal Corporation," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- ISL 2015: Chennaiyin FC vs Atletico de Kolkata - Preview
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- Singh Is Bliing movie review: Watch it for Akshay Kumar!
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'